Making Money Transfers in Hong Kong Dollars
FTT Global offers a competitive exchange rate that is better than your bank’s rate. Plus, we offer a simple, speedy online service and our expert, friendly support team is here for you 24/7 should you need any help.
Register now and book your Hong Kong Dollars international payment or money transfer straight away to lock in the rate or choose a rate alert to receive an email or text alert telling you when your target Hong Kong Dollar exchange rate is reached.
Sign $ / Code HKD
Do you need to make or receive Hong Kong Dollar payments or transfer Hong Kong Dollars between accounts? We can help, and save you money.
About the Hong Kong Dollar
The Hong Kong Dollar is the official currency of Hong Kong and is currently the eighth most traded currency in the world.
In 1841 Hong Kong was established as a free-trading port in Asia. Due to a lack of local currency and the amount of international trade that flowed through the city at the time, the Rupee, Spanish and American silver Dollars, Chinese Yuan and Pound Sterling currencies were used as a substitute.
In 1845, when the Oriental Bank of Hong Kong was established, Hong Kong began issuing its own bank notes. These existed alongside the metallic coinage system of copper, bronze and silver coins. Following this, in 1863, the British Colonial rulers succeeded in taking control over the city. It was then that the Pound Sterling became Hong Kong’s official currency, and the first legal coins were produced specifically for Hong Kong. However it wasn’t until 9 November 1935, that the Hong Kong Dollar was declared the official currency, with an exchange rate that was fixed to the British pound.
- The HK dollar is also accepted in southern parts of mainland China and the Macau Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
- Coins are issued in denominations of 10 ¢, 20 ¢, 50 ¢, $1, $2, $5, and $10 and the banknotes in denominations of $10, $20, $50, $100, $500 and $1000.
Our most popular HKD Money Transfers
At FTT Global we accommodate international money transfers in over 30 different foreign currencies. The Hong Kong Dollar is one of our most popular currency exchanges with the following transfers accounting for many of these trades.
- Hong Kong Dollar to Pounds Sterling
- Hong Kong Dollar to USA Dollar
- Hong Kong Dollar to Euro
- Hong Kong Dollar to Japanese Yen
- Hong Kong Dollar to Thai Baht
- Hong Kong Dollar to Canadian Dollar
- Hong Kong Dollar to Singapore Dollar
- Hong Kong Dollar to New Zealand Dollar
- Hong Kong Dollar to Philippine Peso
- Hong Kong Dollar to Indian Rupees