The United Kingdom, or UK, is located just off the north-western coast of continental Europe. The UK is made up of the island of Great Britain (England, Scotland, and Wales), Northern Ireland and the British Isles.
The official currency of the United Kingdom is British Pound Sterling, also known as the Great Britain Pound or GBP.
It’s easy to send money to the UK!
Simply register online and follow our straightforward booking process. You will need to have the following details handy:
- Beneficiary name – Please enter the full beneficiary name to enable the bank to accept the payment. No nicknames.
- Bank name – Please enter the full name of financial institution.
- Bank Account Number – The recipient’s bank account number
- Sort Code – The sort code is a six-digit number and is usually formatted as three pairs of numbers.
- You may want to add a reference that is relevant to your payment.
If you need any assistance setting up the beneficiary account please feel free to call our customer service team on 020 3603 8940. Alternatively if it would be beneficial for you to email your beneficiary details to our payments team at [email protected] they will set them up for you and send you a confirmation email.
- Despite variations in denomination and decimalisation over time, the pound sterling has existed as England’s national currency since the early 900s.
- In the UK, paper money is referred to as ”notes” unlike the US, which refers to it as “bills”
- The British pound is often referred to colloquially as “quid”. This may come from the term “quid pro quo” but it also may also come from Gaelic-speaking Irishmen in the British Army who referred to “my money” as “mo chuid” (roughly pronounced as “mo quid”).
For more detailed information on sending and receiving Pound Sterling, please visit our currency page.
Do you need to transfer money to the UK or make an international payment?
FTT Global offers a simple, speedy, secure online service to help you transfer or send funds to the UK. Our expert, friendly support team is here for you 24/7 should you have any questions or need any help.
Our most popular Sterling currency exchanges
FTT Global facilitate international money transfers in over 30 different foreign exchange currencies. The Pound Sterling is one of our most popular currency exchanges with the following transfers accounting for many of these trades.
- Pound Sterling to Australian Dollar
- Pound Sterling to USA Dollar
- Pound Sterling to Euro
- Pound Sterling to Japanese Yen
- Pound Sterling to Indian Rupees
- Pound Sterling to Thai Baht
- Pound Sterling to Canadian Dollar
- Pound Sterling to Singapore Dollar
- Pound Sterling to New Zealand Dollar
- Pound Sterling to Philippine Peso
- Pound Sterling to Indian Rupees
- Pound Sterling to Swedish Krona
- Pound Sterling to Bahraini Dinar
- Pound Sterling to Hong Kong Dollar
These are just some of the most popular trades. If your currency exchange is NOT listed above, then please use the rate checker tool on the home page to get the best online rates available today
How long do payments to the UK take?
If we receive your funds before midday, FTT guarantee a same day transfer. If your funds come in after midday the payment will be sent and should be received in the beneficiary account, by the following day.
Register now and book your international payment or money transfer to UK today!